To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and astir important stories delivered to your inbox each time astatine 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Hello and invited to Daily Crunch for August 16, 2021. While the satellite deals with myriad issues, we’re sticking to our accustomed remit. Hugs and emotion to everyone, and here’s hoping for a amended tomorrow. — Alex
The TechCrunch Top 3
- How Nuro is taking connected Google, the world: The contention to physique commercial-ready self-driving cars is big, good funded and competitive. And companies are taking diverging paths successful their attack to the autonomous driving question. Nuro is 1 specified company, and TechCrunch has the wrong scoop successful our latest EC-1. Enjoy!
- Tesla nether probe for Autopilot crashes: Speaking of self-driving cars, Tesla’s efforts connected the task are successful the spotlight aft a fig of collisions betwixt the company’s cars and parked first-responder vehicles. Tesla’s diver assistance programme appears to beryllium the culprit. How you consciousness astir the enquiry volition beryllium connected whether you clasp Tesla stock, but the concern underscores conscionable however hard it is to get self-driving, afloat oregon not, to enactment successful the wild.
- Chime, Carta and Discord: As U.S. unicorns rise caller mega-rounds, oregon enactment to adjacent their adjacent epic backing round, TechCrunch wondered what the rash of startups worthy $10 cardinal oregon much could mean for startups earlier successful their lifecycle. The quality is bully for startups and their founders alike.
- Guilded sells to Roblox: Microsoft failed to get Discord, but Roblox didn’t miss erstwhile it came to Guilded. Admittedly, Guilded is simply a acold smaller institution than Discord, but the 2 startups play successful the aforesaid space, truthful the Roblox woody truly does matter. The marketplace for gamer chat apps is astir apt large capable to enactment a fewer players, but Roblox, flush with cash, was much than blessed to pony up for Guilded, which raised conscionable implicit $10 cardinal portion private.
- Tropic raises $25M for amended bundle procurement: The pandemic taught the satellite that bundle gets paid for. Why? Because without it concern virtually stops. Software companies did good during the pandemic acknowledgment to the centrality to regular operations that their concern enjoyed. But nary 1 wants to overpay. That’s wherever Tropic comes successful — and present the startup that wants to assistance others walk little connected bundle has $25 cardinal to play with.
- Shopistry raises $2M for amended headless commerce: We are presuming that this startup’s sanction is pronounced SHOP-istry, other it would marque small sense. Regardless, Shopistry is gathering a modular e-commerce work that it thinks is amended than different headless e-commerce services. It has beauteous large contention successful BigCommerce and Shopify, but those companies were besides erstwhile wee startups.
- BrainQ wants to alteration changeable rehab: At-home changeable therapy startup BrainQ has racked up a $40 cardinal round, TechCrunch wrote today. What does its hardware do? It “stimulates the damaged portion of the encephalon and promotes self-repair,” and does truthful with capable interaction that it secured “a Breakthrough Device certification from the FDA.” I mean, that’s ace cool.
- How Amanda DoAmaral built Fiveable: Today connected the Found podcast, TechCrunch has a existent treat: “Hear however DoAmaral took her dissatisfaction with an inadequate strategy and turned that into the information to physique a venture-scale concern extracurricular of it.”
The Nuro EC-1
In 2010, Google’s autonomous conveyance task placed self-driving cars connected Bay Area streets and freeways, but applicable applications were thought to beryllium astatine slightest a decennary away.
The futurists were close connected schedule: In 2020, Mountain View-based Nuro was investigating its second-generation R2 robotic vehicle, the archetypal to gain a national exemption to run an autonomous vehicle.
By the clip Nuro raised $940 cardinal for its Series B, it had already partnered with companies similar CVS, Walmart and Domino’s to usage the R2 for last-mile deliveries.
But earlier Nuro could adjacent see reaching product-market fit, its founders had to flooded technological challenges, triumph implicit regulators and onslaught partnerships with a scope of consumer-facing companies.
“Neither JZ nor I deliberation of ourselves arsenic classical entrepreneurs oregon that starting a institution is thing we had to bash successful our lives,” says co-founder Dave Ferguson. “It was overmuch much the effect of psyche searching and trying to fig retired what is the biggest imaginable interaction that we could have.”
(Extra Crunch is our rank program, which helps founders and startup teams get ahead. You tin motion up here.)
Big Tech Inc.
- Soon everyone volition beryllium capable to verify their Tinder date: After initially rolling retired successful Japan backmost successful 2019, Tinder intends to rotation retired ID verification for each of its users astir the satellite successful coming quarters. Frankly, this sounds similar a bully idea, and 1 that could amended the app’s wide safety. Our lone question is however it took this agelong for Tinder to get to.
- Cisco buys Epsagon: U.S. tech institution Cisco has plonked down astir $500 cardinal for Israeli app monitoring institution Epsagon. Sure, Israel is champion known for its cybersecurity work, but that doesn’t mean that the state is one-note. The woody didn’t look to determination Cisco’s stock, which eased modestly during a mostly lackluster time for exertion shares. Still, we don’t spot this size of woody arsenic often arsenic we erstwhile did, it feels, truthful we wanted to item it.
- Do you privation much privateness breaches? This is however you get much privateness breaches. That’s my takeaway from quality that Pearson is paying a $1 cardinal good for a 2018 breach that leaked millions of pupil records, 1 that it failed to notation to investors. The SEC agreed to the settlement. Next they’ll good Exxon $47.29 for lying astir clime change.
TechCrunch Experts: Growth Marketing
Are you each caught up connected past week’s sum of maturation marketing? If not, work it here.
TechCrunch wants you to urge maturation marketers who person expertise successful SEO, social, contented penning and more! If you’re a maturation marketer, walk this survey on to your clients; we’d similar to perceive astir wherefore they loved moving with you.
Join Danny Crichton connected Thursday, August 19, astatine 2 p.m. PDT/5 p.m. EDT for a Twitter Spaces interrogation with Sukhinder Singh Cassidy, writer of “Choose Possibility: Take Risks and Thrive (Even When You Fail).”