On 18 November 2020, the Minister of Health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared the extremity of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak successful Equateur Province. The declaration was made successful accordance with WHO recommendations, 42 days aft the past confirmed lawsuit tested antagonistic for the 2nd clip connected 6 October 2020 successful Makanza Health Zone, Equateur Province.
This outbreak was declared connected 1 June 2020 pursuing investigations and laboratory confirmation of EVD successful samples taken aft 4 deaths reported successful Mbandaka Health Zone. Further investigations identified cases with dates of grounds onset from May to September 2020 successful 41 wellness areas crossed 13 wellness zones, namely Bikoro, Bolenge, Bolomba, Bomongo, Iboko, Ingende, Lilanga Bobangi, Lolanga Mampoko, Lotumbe, Makanza, Mbandaka, Monieka and Wangata Health Zones.
This was the 11th EVD outbreak reported successful the Democratic Republic of the Congo since the microorganism was archetypal identified successful 1976, and the 2nd successful Equateur Province. Two genetically chiseled Ebola Zaire viruses were successful circulation during this outbreak, based connected disposable information. Four cases that were linked done 1 concatenation of transmission successful Iboko Health Zone were infected with the aforesaid Ebola microorganism arsenic the 2018 outbreak successful Equateur Province, and a caller Ebola Zaire microorganism that had emerged successful 2020 was identified successful each the different cases.
The outbreak effect was led by the Ministry of Health with enactment from WHO and partners. Priorities during this effect included strengthening diagnostic capabilities, corruption prevention and power successful wellness facilities and communities, ringing vaccination astir confirmed and probable cases and vaccination of frontline workers, delivering attraction and monoclonal antibody attraction for patients, supporting harmless and dignified burials, hazard connection and assemblage engagement and constitution of 52 points of introduction oregon points of power to surface colonisation movements.
Response efforts were mounted successful the discourse of important logistical challenges. For example, cellular sum for mobile phones was severely constrained and limitations successful crushed proscription necessitated aerial oregon riverine transport, which hampered connection among surveillance teams. This analyzable the proscription and investigating of prime laboratory samples, and delayed deployment of method experts to affected areas.
Disease surveillance was consistently challenged by debased levels of reported alerts, peculiarly among deaths. Overall, 67% of confirmed cases were not identified arsenic known contacts astatine the clip of detection, highlighting the challenges of performing rigorous lawsuit probe and the imaginable for undetected transmission. Moreover, the geographical organisation and epidemiological links betwixt cases person not yet been well-understood. Despite these challenges, multi-sectoral coordination was strengthened, and surveillance and probe activities were enhanced. No caller confirmed cases person been reported since 28 September 2020.
From 1 June to 18 November 2020, a full of 130 EVD cases including 119 confirmed and 11 probable cases were reported from 13 wellness zones. Of the full confirmed and probable cases, 45% (n=58) were pistillate and 23% (n=30) were children aged little than 18 years. There were 55 deaths recorded (overall proportionality of deaths among reported cases was 42%), 29% (34/119) of cases died extracurricular Ebola attraction centres, and 75 cases recovered from EVD. Over the people of the outbreak, much than 26 000 contacts of cases were registered successful Equateur Province.
However, the hazard of re-emergence of EVD remains, adjacent aft human-to-human transmission of EVD has been interrupted successful Equateur Province. Ebola Zaire microorganism is contiguous successful carnal reservoirs successful the region, and it tin persist successful immoderate assemblage fluids of survivors for respective months, which successful uncommon events whitethorn effect successful secondary transmission. Therefore, cases of EVD whitethorn proceed to beryllium reported successful the Democratic Republic of the Congo. A robust and coordinated surveillance strategy indispensable beryllium maintained to rapidly detect, isolate, trial and supply attraction for caller suspected cases, and operations indispensable proceed to attraction for radical who person recovered from EVD.
Under the longer-term program that is presently successful development, enhanced surveillance, a programme for semipermanent attraction of Ebola survivors and different effect mechanisms stay successful spot aft the extremity of the outbreak. These activities volition assistance support heightened vigilance and lend to strengthening a resilient wellness attraction system.
Figure 1: Confirmed and probable Ebola microorganism illness cases by week of unwellness onset by wellness zone. Data arsenic of 10 November 2020*
Public wellness effect
In effect to this EVD outbreak, from 1 June 2020 to 18 November 2020:
- five tract laboratories were acceptable up for specimen investigating utilizing the GeneXpert PCR system. To date, much than 15 000 samples person been tested;
- six Ebola attraction centres (ETC) were acceptable up to attraction for radical with EVD. Since the opening of the outbreak, 78 confirmed EVD patients person been treated successful the assorted ETCs, transit and isolation centers, of whom 32 received EVD-specific monoclonal antibody treatment;
- thirteen transit and isolation centres were acceptable up to attraction for suspected cases and for referral of confirmed cases;
- over 43 000 people, including astir 9000 frontline wellness workers were vaccinated against EVD;
- over 26 000 contacts of cases were registered successful Equateur province;
- over 3 cardinal radical person been screened astatine points of introduction and points of power for Ebola symptoms astatine borders oregon different state points of control;
- an EVD survivors attraction programme was established successful October 2020 to supply aesculapian care, biologic investigating and intelligence enactment for the 75 persons who recovered.
WHO hazard assessment
On 18 November 2020, the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared the extremity of human-to-human transmission of EVD implicit successful Equateur Province after 2 maximum incubation periods (42 days) had elapsed since the past confirmed lawsuit tested antagonistic for the 2nd time connected 6 October 2020. However, determination remains a hazard of re-emergence of EVD due to the fact that alert rates person remained sub-optimal successful each affected and non-affected wellness zones, including decease alerts passim the outbreak, and cases whitethorn person gone undetected. In addition, Ebola microorganism is enzootic successful the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and it tin persist successful immoderate assemblage fluids of survivors for respective months which, successful uncommon events, whitethorn effect successful secondary transmission.
There are ongoing challenges for surveillance, including entree to affected areas and assemblage mistrust toward authorities and outbreak responders. Other wellness emergencies specified arsenic coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), cholera and measles outbreaks whitethorn jeopardize the country’s quality to rapidly observe and respond to re-emergence of EVD cases.
WHO advises the pursuing hazard simplification measures arsenic an effectual mode to trim EVD transmission successful humans:
- Continue to bid and retrain the wellness workforce for aboriginal detection, isolation and attraction of EVD cases.
To trim the hazard of wildlife-to-human transmission, specified arsenic done interaction with effect bats, monkeys and apes:
- Handle wildlife with gloves and different due protective clothing;
- Cook carnal products (blood and meat) thoroughly earlier depletion and debar depletion of earthy bushmeat.
To trim the hazard of human-to-human transmission from nonstop oregon adjacent interaction with radical with EVD symptoms, peculiarly with their bodily fluids:
- Wear gloves and due idiosyncratic protective instrumentality erstwhile taking attraction of sick patients astatine home;
- Wash hands regularly aft visiting patients successful hospital, arsenic good arsenic aft taking attraction of patients astatine home.
To trim the hazard of imaginable transmission from microorganism persistence successful immoderate assemblage fluids of survivors, WHO recommends establishing an EVD survivors attraction programme to supply aesculapian care, intelligence enactment and biologic investigating (until 2 antagonistic consecutive tests). WHO does not urge isolation of antheral oregon pistillate convalescent patients whose humor has been tested antagonistic for Ebola virus.
For much information, delight see:
- End of the 11th Ebola outbreak – Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Defeating Ebola successful the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Ebola information sheet
- Disease Outbreak News Ebola microorganism illness – Democratic Republic of the Congo, 3 September 2020
- Media resources connected the Ebola outbreak
- Resources and accusation connected Ebola microorganism disease
- Resources and accusation connected Ebola survivors
- WHO recommended criteria for declaring the extremity of the Ebola microorganism illness outbreak
- Ebola effect funding